Friday, December 4, 2015

Trigger Mortis by Anthony Horowitz


I was hesitant to read Trigger Mortis by Anthony Horowitz because I had enjoyed William Boyd’s Solo, the last James Bond novel. Perhaps I thought I might enjoy it less than Solo which is a really good book and I didn’t want to be disappointed. I need not have worried. Horowitz nails it. Trigger Mortis takes place just weeks after the conclusion of Ian Fleming’s Goldfinger. Bond is back in London shacked up with Pussy Galore. There’s a lot of stress as they both begin to realize that domestic bliss might not be in the cards. Then there’s the lingering threat of Goldfinger’s associates exacting revenge against Pussy for betraying her boss. That’s the premise when Bond gets called away for an assignment. Bond’s job is to protect a driver at the Nurburgring races and find out why SMERSH wants him dead. The race in chapter seven convinced me that Horowitz should write more Bond novels. The love interest (in addition to Pussy Galore) is Jeopardy Lane, a swinging chick with a lot in common with 007. The villain of the piece is Jason Sin and his method of executing his enemies is horrific, as Bond will find out. There is, of course, a plot that involves a rocket, perhaps a slight homage to the films, and close shaves by the score. The action and suspense pile up swiftly. Trigger Mortis is incredibly fun, and a thrilling addition to the James Bond canon. The book isn’t all that long, a scant 304 pages with a larger font. Trigger Mortis is stylistically similar to Fleming’s original stories than anything we’ve seen in a long time. I would love to see Anthony Horowitz write more Bond stories, but I also said that about William Boyd, and I’ve also said I’d like to see Raymond Benson do another Bond. Anyway, Bond and his Walther PPK are still on display on the big screen in Spectre with Daniel Craig and that film is pretty damn good, too. This has been a great season for us Bond fans.

1 comment:

  1. Several weeks ago I heard an interview with Horowitz on NPR about this novel, and why he chose Goldfinger as its prequel. It sounds like a good one. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for the necessity to moderate comments, but somebody opened the zoo cages and the beasts are running amok!