Friday, August 28, 2015

A Song to Die For by Mike Blakely


I picked this one up in Book World, a great family owned bookstore chain. I had previously read Blakely’s Westerns – Comanche Dawn and Dead Reckoning – and I enjoyed them. Somewhere along the way I read a few others. Mike Blakely might not be as well known as some Western writers but he’s every bit as good. A Song to Die For is a modern thriller and I couldn’t put it down. I read the first 143 pages one afternoon, and finished the book the next day. It was raining hard, and I was hunkered down in my cabin waiting for the sun. I really dug into this book. Blakely tells two stories; the first about the musical comeback of Creed Mason who teams up with country music legend Luster Burnett; and the second story is about a killer out to cleanse any witnesses to one of his recent hits. How these two stories become entwined is fascinating. Blakely creates some wonderful characters, and the primary characterizations of Creed Mason and Luster Burnett and their efforts to stage a musical comeback for them both makes for some riveting reading. Kudos to Mike Blakely for his skillful plotting. Being a respected musician as well as a writer, Blakely demonstrates an acute knowledge of the music business and his insight lends an aura of authenticity to the proceedings. I hope this book becomes a hit. It’s what they call a “sleeper” because Forge released it without any noticeable publicity, and Book World is the only place I’ve seen a copy. Honestly folks, track this one down, or order it on-line. A Song to Die For is a refreshing page-turner with plenty of suspense and deftly handled plot twists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for the necessity to moderate comments, but somebody opened the zoo cages and the beasts are running amok!