Saturday, October 25, 2014

A Midsummer Night’s Scream by R. L. Stine



That spooky genius R. L. Stine is at it again with another young adult novel for his slightly older audience. Published in hardcover by Feiwel and Fiends, A Midsummer Night’s Scream follows his previous adult novel, Red Rain. There is clearly no end to R. L. Stine’s wicked imagination, and thank god for that. Stine makes Halloween fun. I’d have to list Stine up there with Guy N. Smith and James Herbert as my favorite horror-show scribes. Although Stine’s audience are comprised of “Tweens” (who thought up that ghastly word?), I maintain that his books can and should be enjoyed by anyone with a penchant for Halloween style entertainment. Now let’s get to the gruesome, palpitating heart of the bloody matter. A Midsummer Night’s Scream takes place sixty years after three young actors lost their lives on a movie set. In a desperate attempt to save a failing movie studio, a film crew revisits the sight of the mysterious murders. But nothing is as it appears. There may be ghosts here, and there are obviously evil forces at work. Stine never plays it safe. Evil is evil and the plot heats up fairly swiftly. The short chapters and Stine’s clipped prose make this spooky story accessible to readers of all ages looking for some Halloween thrills. You’ll breeze along with the mayhem at a chilling pace, like a swimmer in quicksand, and when you look up the shore will be too far away and you’re toast! The book has a nice design with each chapter heading dripping with blood. For my money, Halloween just isn’t Halloween without a book by R. L. Stine.

2 comments:

  1. I remember in the 90s when R.L. Stine and others were publishing horror novels for teens, which upset many parents at the time. I couldn't understand that at all. Teens were devouring these books, meaning they were reading instead of vegging out to The Real World on MTV. I'm sure, had I been a teenager then, I would have been consuming those horror novels like potato chips. I should check out one of R.L. Stine's novels. They always looked like a good time seeing them on the shelves of bookstores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kurt, I like Stine. I met him at a book signing for Red Rain which I reviewed and I videotaped him. He told the funniest stories. One last Halloween post coming and I'm finishing this month of Scary Books with another Stine title LOL! Then onto some Hank Janson!

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for the necessity to moderate comments, but somebody opened the zoo cages and the beasts are running amok!