Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Retro Paperback: The Shadow of Robber’s Roost by Helen Rushmore

Here’s one from my bookshelf that dates back to 1967. Published by Scholastic Book Services, this was one of several books I read on a cross-country trip in my father’s sparkling new 1967 Pontiac hauling a Coachman trailer during the Summer of Love. Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Doors all on the radio. A western for young readers and loosely based on the legend of Buddy Emery and the outlaw William Coe. The dialogue is remarkably adult and the story is lean and tense. This must have been one of the first westerns that I read, with the exception of comic books. Mild by today’s standards, I still like the directness and pragmatic approach. It offers an underlying theme of morality without preaching. All that for fifty cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for the necessity to moderate comments, but somebody opened the zoo cages and the beasts are running amok!