Thursday, September 30, 2010

Review: Robin Hood: King of Sherwood by I. A. Watson

I purchased Robin Hood: King of Sherwood at the Windy City Pulp and Paper convention this year. It’s published by Cornerstone Book Publishers in conjunction with Ron Fortier’s Airship 27 Productions. The beautiful cover is by Mike Manley with interior illustrations by Rob Davis. In his superb afterword, Watson provides an historical overview of the Robin Hood legend and explains his affection for the pulp magazines of a bygone age: “In writing “King of Sherwood” I was consciously trying to tell the story as if it had been commissioned for such a publication. This is Robin Hood as if he had appeared in Argosy or the Strand Magazine.” Indeed, this is adventure writing at its finest, i.e., literate, suspenseful, action-packed and genuine.

I have mentioned this book in several Internet forums and hope this post rekindles interest in the book. It’s one of my favorites from the past twelve months. The Robin Hood legend has intrigued me since I saw Errol Flynn face off against Basil Rathbone in the Warner Brothers 1938 classic film.

Robin Hood: King of Sherwood by I. A. Watson can be ordered on Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for the necessity to moderate comments, but somebody opened the zoo cages and the beasts are running amok!